#ThroughTheEyes of @OurOpenRoad - A curated collection of photos and the stories that went along with them in their life on the road.
1. We departed California in October 2012 in our VW Westfalia and now after 1,079 days, 35,563 miles, 30 border crossings, 14 countries, 4 motors and 1 new child, we are slowly heading north having reached the southernmost road in Argentina. This sunset camp shot is in a remote cove of the Atacama Desert in Chile.
2. A life long dream coming into focus! Approaching the Fitz Roy massif in #Argentina, the whole range stands looming above the vast #Patagonia steepe. Hard to believe we drove here from California!
3. Cabo Polonio, Uruguay is a windswept village in sand dunes on the Atlantic coast that’s only accessible by 4x4. We found some pretty inexpensive crooked houses for sale!
4. Here’s our route entering Argentine Patagonia’s Atlantic coast. Heading across the Patagonian desert (the third largest desert in the world) in our VW Westfalia van, we blew a piston somewhere near the bottom left corner and limped to Chile where they could get parts to repair our Subaru motor.
5. Early on in the trip, we learned to trade expectation for experience. Baja California Norte, Mexico.
6. A full time nomad family of four, we depart from wherever we may be in South America and fly back to California once a year to visit friends and family. Getting out for a dawn patrol with some buds on a recent trip home.
7. Perhaps fueled by Uruguay’s decriminalization of the green plant, locals are quite chill.
8. Over the past 3 years on the road, we have seen an abundance of wildlife living in their natural habitat, but the 20,000 burrowing parrots that live in the cliffs of El Cóndor reserve in the far north of Argentine Patagonia are a sight and sound to remember.
9. When we departed California, our daughter Coco was 1.5 and what started as a 1-year adventure has turned to a life on the road with no end in sight. Our second daughter Sierra was born a year and a half into the trip in Brazil, gaining dual citizenship. Full time nomads, we’ve been on the road living the #vanlife for 3 years now. Driving amongst the araucaria trees in Conguillio National Park in Chile is like stepping into another world.
10. Living in a small space, we live out in the world more than in our van. You can read our latest blog post on ouropenroad.com where we explore Torres del Paine National Park in Southern Patagonia.
11. The Remmy matte brindle tortoise #ThroughTheEyes overlooking the Kohala Coast on the Big Island of Hawaii.
12. Thank you for joining us on our RAEN takeover everybody! #FamilyTotem on the Atlantic coast, Argentina.
13. Some swell decided to make this epic site even better. Camp vibes along the Central Chilean coast.
14. Free coconuts, free bananas, free camp, and free surf - you can’t really ask for much more. Costa Rica
Learn more about their journey at ouropenroad.com